If you’re a business owner, manager, HR professional, team leader, or someone in charge of rostering, you know that scheduling your staff can be challenging. It’s difficult to balance many factors to make efficient work schedules while handling constant schedule changes that may arise.
Fortunately, technology has made it possible for us to automate scheduling tasks. With the right employee scheduling software, you can easily churn out efficient, well-planned shift schedules and communicate them to your team effectively.
As there are many different software options out there, finding the right one for your team can be difficult. So we’ve weighed the options based on how easy they are to use, how flexible they are, how much they cost, and their special features, to help you pick the right scheduling software for your employees.
What to Look for When Choosing Employee Scheduling Software?
Before we talk about the best choices, it’s important to know what you should think about when picking the right scheduling software.
Here are some important things you should look for when considering staff scheduling software:
Ease of Use
The software should be user-friendly and easy to navigate. Whether you’re overseeing a team of servers, cleaning staff, or nurses, it should be simple for your staff to access their schedules and be aware of their work hours.
Make sure the software can handle different scheduling needs, such as shifts, part-time, full-time, and varying work hours, business requirements, and employee preferences. A good shift planning tool also helps you identify and resolve scheduling conflicts such as double shifts or overlapping hours.
Notifications and Reminders
The rostering software should be able to send automatic notifications and reminders to employees about their shifts or schedule changes.
Reporting and Analytics
The software should offer reporting features that allow you to track attendance, labor costs, and other important metrics. These numbers can give you insights into how you can adjust and improve processes and operations.
Features such as messaging, a news feed, or comment sections can facilitate communication between managers and employees. It’s easier to discuss work or make announcements with people in the workplace.
Consider whether the software can integrate with other tools you already use, such as payroll or sales software.
If your industry has specific labor laws or regulations, ensure the software helps you stay compliant with these rules. For example, it alerts you if you schedule too many hours for an employee.
Using management software can be challenging if your team is not too tech-savvy or when technical problems arise. Check if the software provider offers good customer support in case you encounter any issues or need assistance.
The best employee scheduling software for your business will depend on your unique needs and priorities. Take your time to research and compare different options before making a decision.
Our Top Picks for Employee Scheduling Software
Camelo is an employee scheduling software designed to meet the diverse scheduling needs of businesses of all sizes. Whether you’re managing a bustling healthcare facility, a small cleaning crew, a busy restaurant, or a large hotel, Camelo can help you create work schedules and send them to employees instantly.
Besides being a robust work schedule maker, Camelo also provides features like leave request management, time tracking, attendance tracking, messaging, and more. There’s a direct chat with the support team right within the smartphone app, which is helpful if you have difficulty setting up and using the app.
- The software is easy to use and has a well-designed interface, making employee scheduling simple for everyone in the workplace.
- It integrates many features useful for workplaces that operate on shifts and hours: shift scheduling, shift swapping, time off management, attendance tracking, GPS time clocks, timesheets, etc.
- The team messaging feature is useful for announcing changes and updates or discussing shift work.
- There’s a free plan with essential features to get you started. Paid plans are affordable.
- You and your team can chat directly with the support team within the smartphone app.
- Limited integrations with other software
Homebase is a cloud-based software platform designed to help businesses manage their hourly employees. It offers features like scheduling management, shift assignments, and real-time updates for employee schedules.
As Homebase charges on a per-location basis instead of per user, the software is well-suited for businesses that have multiple employees at each of their locations.
- Homebase offers many features for scheduling and labor cost management.
- It’s cost-effective for businesses with many employees per location.
- The pricing might be a concern for smaller businesses with limited budgets.
- It takes some time to become familiar with all the features and interface.
- There are various features, so some businesses might find certain functionalities more complex than their specific needs require.
ZoomShift is designed to help businesses manage their employee schedules, track work hours, and streamline workforce management processes.
ZoomShift allows employers to create schedules, assign shifts, and communicate with their employees regarding their work schedules. Employees can access their schedules, request time off, and swap shifts through the platform as well.
- ZoomShift provides extensive tools for scheduling and time tracking.
- It offers robust reporting tools.
- It’s quite pricey for businesses with tight budgets, especially when specific features are only accessible through higher-tier plans.
- Limited integrations with other software.
Choosing the right employee scheduling software for your business will depend on your needs and budget. Take the time to look into each choice, test out their free trials, and figure out which option best matches your team in terms of price and features. Once you find the one that fits best, you’ll be all set to make your business even better and get things done more efficiently.
- Leveraging Technology to Maximize Your Business Outcomes
- The Benefits of Outsourcing IT Support for Companies and IT Managers
- How to Easily Introduce New Software or Technology to Your Team
- The Importance of Building a Minimum Viable Product (MVP) for SaaS Startups
- How AI could help IT Employees Manage Stress and Avoid Burnout
- What Services are Covered Under IT Support? – In-Depth Analysis